At this point in our journey, I find it difficult to put the next phase into words, so let me share with you, a little bit about Doug. He loved hunting, deep sea fishing, and all the things that "men" like to do. What set him apart from the "typical" man was the fact that he was this very manly man, and yet was a kind and tender hearted individual who would do anything for you. And then there was his storytelling. He had this way of telling a story that captivated his audience and kept you on the edge of your seat to the very last word or laughing so hard, your sides ached (even if he was just telling you about his trip to Wal-Mart!). And he always had a story to tell about the adventures with his best friend since childhood, but more like a brother, Rusty. We kept telling him that we could all be rich, if he would just write that book about the Adventures with Rusty.
Early on in our relationship, as my family was just getting to know Doug, we were having a family get-together and I remember the moment that "sealed the deal" with Doug, as far as my family was concerned. My niece was pregnant at the time and she had decided she wanted to cast or mold her very pregnant belly. So she is lying in a recliner, while my sisters and Mom are layering her belly with this "papier mache" type process. Doug is standing back, watching, and the next thing you see, is Doug right in the middle of all these women, helping make this mold. They still talk about that moment and that is when they fell in love with him.
Another great memory that instantly comes to mind when I think of him is how he would get in the kitchen with me and help me cook (never had to ask him to help me) , especially on weekend morning, cooking breakfast together. I might add, he was a GOOD cook. He actually intimidated me the first time we cooked together. I was frying chicken and I was a little nervous when it came down to making the gravy, so he just jumped right in there, made the gravy, and it was absolutely the BEST gravy I had ever eaten.
No comments:
Post a Comment